Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Tuesday observations!

Time: 7-8 pm
Location: Venice, Fl

I dragged two chairs, a dog, and a father outside to observe the event of the night- an iridium flare! While the dog, Candee, was more interested in a random fruit rat than the sky, the father was quite curious as to why I dragged him outside. I had to explain both what an iridium flare was, what caused it, and the system of magnitudes, which was quite helpful in cementing knowledge. My dad found the system of magnitudes the most interesting. Locating where the flare would be involved identifying Orion and Sirius and making a triangle- I was a little bit to the left of where it actually was, but it was accurate enough! I will again complain about the trees blocking all of my view- when the flare started travelling we had to get up and run around the edge of my yard to get the trees out of our field of view just enough to see the end! This was the first flare I've seen (and my dad has not seen any either) so it was a pretty cool experience. The yellow-gold color was very majestic.

1 comment: